Wednesday, May 07, 2008

A long time coming...

Most of you that know me well will undoubtably know that my birthday is actually not a day that I usually celebrate. (Well, that isn't exactly true, sometimes I runaway to the caribbean to forget about it, but anyway...) For some reason, I guess I have always focused on the fact that I am another year older and inevitably further down a path of getting old. Granted, I still think that way a little but I think I am coming to accept it. Besides, just because I grow older doesn't mean I have to grow up, right? :-) Hm, I guess I AM a living example of that statement.

Anyway, this last year was good for me. It was filled with some difficult moments but also a lot great memories. I guess from an outside perspective looking at the events of the last year most people wouldn't understand why it was a good year for me (besides taking some really nice vacations). For me though, I got a lot of things that I have been long searching for - forgiveness, acceptance, and peace. I have put a long chapter of my life to rest. I was forgiven by the person I most needed it from. I also have found myself looking to the future optimistically again. Finally, I feel good again about where I am and what the uncertain future holds.

So this birthday, even though I am not in the caribbean, I am still happy (at least it is warm here today - LOL!). I'm not running away for my birthday and I'm not hiding from my age (I'm 36). Instead, this year I will mark the moment when I realized that I am back on track again. I am happy for what I have and who I have to share it with. Everyone, thank you for all of the birthday wishes they really mean a lot!

BTW, thanks Kim for this... whether you agree with me or not, you always understand me and that is all I can ever ask for - and for that, I love you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Maturity is a high price to pay for growing up." -- Tom Stoppard

I love you too.

Sandra said...

Happy b-day!