Friday, August 15, 2008

Lionfish...

Before going to Turks and Caicos in June, I read the captain logs for the Turks and Caicos Aggressor. They reported seeing lionfish in multiple locations. I thought it was strange as the lionfish is known to be a Pacific fish but recently there have been reports of lionfish in the caribbean. I was excited at the chance to see them and they are magnificient to see in person but more recently I am starting to become concerned about their effect on the caribbean environment. This article is just one of the many articles that has recently spotlighted the problems that these fish can cause.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another reason not to eat Grouper. Even though Grouper is tasty.

Shocking to read that they've seen them on Bloody Bay Wall, where I certainly would kill any that I found (or feed them to a grouper, more likely). Forget squirrel fish, I'm all about lion fish killing. Ironic, I know, seeing as how my profile photo right now is me with a lion fish...

When we were in T&C, I was thinking that this seemed like an invasive species, but that no one seemed concerned. I feel guilty now, having left the 7 or so that we saw down there. Of course, I don't know how the dive masters would have reacted to me trying to kill them, and I wouldn't have wanted to get stung. Getting my face that close to one was scary enough.

:( Hopefully we won't see any in Bonaire.