Monday, June 02, 2008

Idiots... Pure Idiots....

Ok, finally something has fired me up enough to blog... Admittedly, I have been a little lazy lately. So what interesting type of thing might I have to say especially when the title of the post implies idiots are involved? Well, I logged into Yahoo this morning to get my mail and I see this interesting article about a man sneaking an octopus onto the ice at a Red Wing hockey game. Of course, the title got my attention and I had to click on the article to see what they were talking about... I mean... why in the world would someone throw an octopus onto the ice at a Red Wings game??? Even more strange was the fact that the article didn't seem to think the octopus prank was that big of a deal but rather focused on the fact that the idiot who did it got back into the game after being ejected by buying a $300 ticket from a scapler and changing into a Red Wings jersey. I read the reader comments at the bottom of the article and much to my amazement, everyone thought it was great and it showed a lot of Red Wing pride. Hm... at this point I was realizing that I didn't understand something so I decided to dig a little deeper.

I searched a little more and found this article where it says the NHL is declaring war on "octopus twirling". Hm... a WAR on octopus twirling? A WAR? Ok, I hate it when someone says they are declaring WAR on something - but the media loves to use that expression because of the hype. However, in this case I think it works only because the subject of "octopus twirling" is such an insane idea to be declaring war against. Seriously, who would have ever thought there would be a war on octopus twirling? Then again, who would have though a bunch of idiots would get off on seeing the dead body of an octopus being twirled and flung around in the first place?

Reading further into the article, I discovered this has been something that the Red Wings have been doing since 1991. According to the New York Times, "During a home playoff game in 1991, a fan tossed an octopus onto the ice after a Red Wings goal, a tradition that dates to 1952, when it took eight postseason victories to win the Stanley Cup." Okay... eight postseason victories... eight... octopus... eight arms... Hm, I'm starting to understand there is a number relation here and frankly I'm starting to see that these Detroit idiots have at least attended third grade.

For anyone that does not follow hockey (I don't really either), the Detroit Red Wings symbol/mascot is the Winged Wheel. It has nothing to do with any type of sea creature. This entire octopus twirling tradition started merely because it took eight postseason victories to win the Stanley Cup. Finally, the NHL recently stepped in and declared "octopus twirling doesn't fit in with league image, or something to that effect" and is issuing fines to the team each time an octopus is thrown on the ice. Detroit fans argue that the tradition should continue as it has been going on for 17 years now and has become woven into the fabric of Detroit hockey. But I ask, if the only thing an octopus is guilty of is having eight legs and the relationship is lame anyway, why must this "tradition" continue? If you follow their argument that it is now "tradition," I would offer you this pearl of wisdom. This country has had an eight year "tradition" of having a complete jackass as a president, should we continue to keep him because it is "tradition"????

Think it over Detroit... and when you get your head out of your ass and decide to stop harming innocent cephalopods for fun, maybe you can get to work and design energy effiecient cars that compete with foreign models!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Personally, I think that most sports traditions are silly. I wonder if these people can step away from their fan loyalty for a moment and take a look at themselves and realize they're being slightly dumb? I doubt it.

Isn't beating the crap out of each other enough stupidity for the NHL?

I did read a little online, people ranting "This tradition will not be squashed!" and other things... sports people (WN? Do you read this blog?) tell me - WHY NOT? What compelling reason besides "we like it!" could you have for not getting rid of this tradition?

Wacky Neighbor said...

Well, at one point Florida Panthers' fans threw rubber and plastic rats onto the ice after every Florida playoff goal - one octopus once a game probably isn't as bad, assuming that the octopus twirler has decent aim.

Most of these traditions are a bit silly - I don't see so much harm in this particular case ...

Unknown said...

I disagree... It's the difference between wearing fur and eating an animal for food. Perhaps the octopus was caught to eat, but the fact is that its life was actually given to be slung around on the ice by a bunch of egotistical morons. There is already too much of a problem with fish and sea life being over fished and killed by pollutants and disease. What the Red Wings are doing is promoting disrespect for what is actually a decent and harmless animal.

If this were a dead cat or a dead dog, people would be horrified. The fact that it's an octopus makes it "ok." I'm not a PETA member or anything, I just see this as a horrible horrible waste and it really makes hockey fans look like buffoons.